Disciples of Christ
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
We are part of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
As a movement for wholeness in a fragmented world, The Disciples of Christ and First Christian Church Athens seek to bring all of God's children together. We value thinking over blind beliefs, disagreeing agreeably, and sharing the communion table with ALL of God's creation.
The “Disciples” began on the American Frontier in the 1800s. Since then, we have proclaimed a Gospel of love and openness. We affirm:
- We believe in inclusion at the Lord’s Table. All are welcome. We celebrate communion every week at the heart of our worship.
- We practice Believers’ Baptism. Each person accepts God’s call on their own. Baptism is
one way to enter into God’s church. We affirm baptisms from other denominations.
- We are a movement for Christian Unity. We work with other denominations and faiths. We believe that bringing unique voices together helps everyone - unity, not uniformity.
- We study scriptures ourselves. We value group study, conversation, and diverse positions. We don't rely on someone to give us answers. We seek a better understanding through study and prayer.
- We work for justice. God is calling us to do our part to help the world. We work for wellness, equality for all people, and we don't mind getting our hands dirty.
For more information about the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), visit there website www.disciples.org.